Academic entry requirements grades 8 – 11
Parents need to provide all reports from previous Grade as well as current / most recent report.
Learners will be required to schedule an appointment to write an English and Maths exam.
Learning areas tested will be based on previous years work.
Learners need to go through the interview process (Parents and Learner) similar to the ARTS APPLICATION (Tell us about yourself, your family interests and hobbies and why you want to attend Drakondale.)
ARTS AUDITION REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY GRADES 8 - 11
Candidates must bring a selection of their art to the interview. This MUST include the following:
- Pencil drawing of a wooden chair from life.
- A design for any purpose in colour (e.g.: pattern for fabric / tile etc. or a poster) ONLY GRADES 10 & 11.
- A painting – such as a landscape, portrait or still life.
- A self-portrait from life at least 50 x 30cm: you may use a pencil, colour pencil, etc. ONLY GRADES 10 & 11
- A recent selection of a candidate’s own work, including art if done at school.
- A one page essay, in English – why I would like to study at Drakondale GCS.
- Please note all work must be unaided original work of the candidate and may not be copies of other artwork.
- Candidates must bring their own pencils, colour pencils and erasers to the auditions.
“FROM LIFE” Please do not copy from a photo, drawing off the internet. Put an actual object in space and draw it.
“FOR A PORTRAIT” Please draw yourself in the mirror.
- At Drakondale all learners will be trained in Classical Ballet and Contemporary Dance. The standard of the dance training in the Dance Department is very high and learners must have sufficient background of technical dance forms before attending dance auditions.
- The Dance Department does not offer any training in Freestyle, Hip Hop, Kwaito or Funk as these forms are not offered as formal subjects. We do not consider these dance forms as formal dance for aspiring dancers.
- Learners auditioning for Grades 8 and 9 must have recent formal training and an aptitude for Classical Ballet. For Grades 10 and 11, candidates must have a very strong background of the dance form to be taken as a Major as well as strong basics in Classical Ballet.
- Prospective dance candidates must attend an audition at which they must wear tights and a leotard. Jeans and sneakers are not acceptable. All candidates (who are on / have done Pointe) must bring along pointe shoes for Classical Ballet in addition to their ballet shoes..
- All candidates auditioning for dance will do a Ballet Class ONLY.
The Candidate must be skilled and prepared in the following deliverables:
Believable, and authentic character performance, without a script, from one of the prescribed monologues available from the administration office. The performance must demonstrate that the candidate has the ability to:
- Transform into a believable character other than self.
- Visualize clearly the setting where the scene is happening.
- Know whether the monologue is addressed to another character or to the self or to the audience.
- Sustain focus and energy.
- Improvisation and demonstrating the ability to follow directorial instructions.
- Cold reading a script that will be provided on the day of the audition.
GRADE 8 & 9 MONOLOGUES (CHOOSE ONLY 1 OPTION)
- INVISIBLE FRIENDS by Alan Ayckbourn
- RANDOM THOUGHTS IN A MAY GARDEN by James Saunders
- JANE EYRE adapted by Jacqueline Emery
- WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND by Mary Hayley Bell
GRADE 10 & 11 MONOLOGUES (CHOOSE ONLY 1 OPTION)
- HELLO AND GOODBYE by Athol Fugard
- AN IDEAL HUSBAND by Oscar Wilde
- CATHOLIC SCHOOL GIRLS by Casey Kurtti
ALL LEARNERS WHO AUDITION FOR GRADE 9 – 11 MUST BE ABLE TO READ SHEET MUSIC IN STAFF NOTATION.
Prospective candidates must attend an audition. Candidates must bring their own instruments to the audition venue. The only instrument available in the audition venue is a piano.
PLEASE INDICATE ON THE REGISTRATION FORM THE INSTRUMENT ON WHICH THE CANDIDATE WILL DO THE AUDITION.
- ONE prepared piece on their chosen instrument which can be any Western instrument or voice. A copy of the sheet music of the piece performed must be handed in to the panel.
- An aural test consisting of recognizing rhythms and pitch.
- A short sight reading exercise.
VOICE LEARNERS ONLY
Voice learners must chose and prepare one of the following pieces
- CASTLE ON A CLOUD – From Les Miserables
- I FEEL PRETTY – West Side Story
- SILENT WORSHIP – G.F. Handel
- OVER THE RAINBOW – Wizard of Oz
The song will be handed to the applicant once the completed Audition Registration Form (with all the relevant documents) has been received timeously by the school.
Accompaniment will be provided for the above pieces. Learners must return the copy of the song after the audition process.
ACADEMIC ENTRY REQUIREMENTS GRADES 8 – 11
- Parents need to provide all reports from previous Grade as well as current / most recent report.
- Learners are required to schedule an appointment to write an English and Maths exam.
- Learning areas tested will be based on previous years work.
- Learners need to go through the interview process (Parents and Learner) similar to the ARTS APPLICATION (Tell us about yourself, your family interests and hobbies and why you want to attend Drakondale.)
Drakondale School of the Arts is a High School for Boys and Girls from grade 8-12
Get in touch to make an application today.